Saturday, August 29, 2009

Rubbed and Smoked Bulk Sausage FATTIE




Okay so I woke up this morning and decided to do somthing a bit different for breakfast. NOTHING and I MEAN NOTHING beats a good plate of sausage biscuits for breakfast. As fall is approching (THANK GOD !) it just seemed right that I should add smoke to my sausage.






I have always preferred sausage patties for breakfast as opposed to links, which my wife likes. I just got to thinking how good it would be if I smoked the sausage instead of just frying it up.






So here is what I did:


First : I chose a good BBQ rub, Master Que, which is a rub that is put on the market by the same people that put out the Jack Daniels sauces. I applied the rub completely to the sausage log once it was removed from the package.

Second: I cranked up the Big Green Egg and also chose to smoke with the Jack Daniels Oak Chips. I got the egg up to temperature of about 300 degrees





THIRD: Place the "FATTIE" on the grill and turn about ever 20 minutes. With each turn add another dusting of rub. You will have your "FATTIE" on the grill for about 3 hours. I removed it at about 175 internal temp and let it rest about 20 minutes before slicing into patties.


FINAL NOTES: I will definately do this again. Next time however I will select a rub that has less of a sugar base to it. I think the sweetness runs counter to the bite of the hot sausage. I prefer a good hot sausage. I have to say that a slice of this with its smokyness and its spicyness was wonderful on a hot biscuit with a dlice of good sharp chedder cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment