Saturday, August 22, 2009

Brick Oven Pizza on the egg




One of the reasons that I convinced myself I needed (THATS RIGHT NEEDED) to get a Big Green Egg was the ability to no only grill at high temperatures but also smoke and even more importantly I was told that you could turn your BGE into a virtual Pizza oven. Sounds good to me because i am not a stone mason and the only other way to get a real pizza oven in our back yard is to lay the bricks and stonework and build one.



Recently we decided to give the "pizza Oven" a try. I have had some really great pizza in different cities. The really good authentic stuff is cooked in a coal fired oven at temperatures over 800 degrees. I got the egg up to 850 and placed the plate-setter in the proper position for baking pizza and began.


First the dough. Any good pizza dough recipe will do, I used the following:


Pizza Dough


makes 3 - 12 inch pizzas


* 1 tablespoon active dry yeast, or 1 oz (25 gr) brewer’s yeast


*1 1/2 cups (350 cc) warm water


* 3 1/2 cups (500 gr) flour


* 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil


* pinch of salt



Toppings


Any will do. My favorite on this day were


Pepporoni


Sausage


Mushroom


Onions



Bake on the egg for about 7 minutes at about 800 for a great crispy crust

No comments:

Post a Comment